Hi all,

As a user, I'd like to encourage developers to make use of news items (eselect news) for important changes. I find them much more noticeable than elog messages (which, while I have set them up so they get emailed to me, I admit I don't always read). I think they're also easier to go back and re-read later (not everyone knows how to dig out old elog messages).

2 recent changes I would suggest having news items for are the libpcre .la files issue, because it often doesn't get noticed until later when builds fail, and the masking of the "kdeprefix" use flag as this is a fairly major change and I think it's useful for users to know why these changes are being made.

Another case is that prior to it's masking, the "kdeprefix" use flag was deprecated, with only an elog message on every kde package to notify users, resulting in users who have their elog messages emailed to them receiving a very large number of emails all with the same content - I would also suggest news items in such cases in future.

Thanks to all the developers who worked to bring us this long awaited feature - I think it's brilliant, so please use it!

AllenJB