On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 11:25 AM, Fabian Groffen<grob...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 25-06-2009 22:57:08 +0100, AllenJB wrote:
>> As a user, I'd like to encourage developers to make use of news items
>> (eselect news) for important changes. I find them much more noticeable
>> than elog messages (which, while I have set them up so they get emailed
>> to me, I admit I don't always read). I think they're also easier to go
>> back and re-read later (not everyone knows how to dig out old elog
>> messages).
>
> Maybe we should make an option to have portage not notice you of new
> news messages until you have read it to make the feature more popular.
>
> I personally felt after the java-config news message that it's more of a
> bugger than a help, since I have many systems, and on all of them I had
> to read it to get rid of the "waiting news message".

Well that how it was designed ;)

But seriously if you have N machines of the same config; it would make
sense to just turn off or ignore notifications on N-1 machines and
just always read news on one machine (maybe the canary machine).  But
if they all have different configs and installed packages; turning off
notifications could be dangerous ;)

-A