Christian Faulhammer <fa...@gentoo.org> writes:
>  Fewer people know about the elogging functionality than about their
> display of "You have 1 unread news item".

Where do you expect them to see the unread news item message?  Honestly
curious … I don't believe portage shows them, and – looking at the
Handbook – news (or elog, for that matter) are not even mentioned,
though at least elog is in the example make.conf users are told to
setup.

> Such I want to get people who
> will see Emacs 23 only when it hits stable in some months.  By then they
> will have forgotten about the news item.

In my workflow, I'd not see the news item until the next time I run my
"get up to date" script, a week later.  Presumably well after I'd
already played around with the shiny new emacs-23 and encountered the
breakage.

I implore you to at least add a note in postinst; that seems the most
reliable place to notify users who are installing a package about the
package's effects.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo $...@${b}