On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 21:52:04 +0200, Alex Alexander <wi...@gentoo.org>
wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 21:42, Zeerak Waseem <zeera...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> having to choose a profile, gives less time for the wavering user
>
> Why all the fuss? No-one said we're removing the plain "desktop"
> profile, we're simply adding *more* options.
>
> If you want generic DE options pre-enabled, choose the desktop profile.
> If you *know* you only need KDE as your DE, choose KDE,
> If you *know* you only need GNOME as your DE, choose GNOME,
> If you need both or can't decide, either choose Desktop and add the
> USE flags yourself or use both profiles together.
>
> Beats enabling default USE flags without asking you :)

My personal definition of bloat: "to add complexity for no real gain on
features". Adding a profile just because it's a cool way to do the same
thing that *one* single USE flag can do is a nonsense *to me*.

I am already hearing all the new (and old) users asking what the damn
difference between the flag and the profile is. It's a cool way to create
extra traffic and confusion for absolutely no benefit. But hey, maybe it's
just that my old brain can't cope with the coolness :)
--
Jesús Guerrero