On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 11:52:40AM +0100, Philipp Riegger wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 22:31:04 +0000
> "Robin H. Johnson" <robb...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > But if you built and linked against openssl-0.9.7*, then upgraded to
> > openssl-0.9.8, you can expect breakage.
> But can't this be kind of ignored and solves the Gentoo way? If the
> binpkg does not work, don't install it and simply rebuild it (if not
> stated otherwise on the command line)?
The gentoo "way" in this case is revdep-rebuild, and you've already
stated that your servers do not have a compiler.

You need to either expose the linkage dependencies outside the binpkg,
or introspect it when you're about to install it to find that it's NOT
going to work.

zmedico/portage folk: Can we have a phase during binpkg install, that
lets us check ELF linkages before the files get moving to ${ROOT}?

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : robb...@gentoo.org