On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 09:25, Joshua Saddler <nightmo...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> So . . . why the heck are you stabilizing it?

Because 'stable' denotes that it works as intended, that it can be
installed easily, etc. All of these are true now for python3. There
are applications being written for it. We want to package those too.
I'm fine with people masking it, and maybe we should make that easier
somehow, but 3.x should definitely be stable.

> We're completely dependent on the hundreds of upstream Python-coded projects
> to switch on their timetable. Forcing a useless Python version to be the
> default in Gento doesn't force *them* to write 3.x-compatible code.

It will *NOT* under this proposal be the default. Please formulate
more carefully if you want to make an argument.

Cheers,

Dirkjan