On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 08:48:08AM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 03:33:52 +0200
> Tobias Heinlein <keytoas...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > 3) Questions that aren't that important at all and would just be "nice
> > to know".
> > [snip]
> > Examples for these:
> >
> > 5. What is wrong with using $(somecommand) or `somecommand` or $ARCH
> >     inside SRC_URI, DEPEND, etc?
> >     [Devmanual, Caching]
>
> How the heck is this not important? Anyone who doesn't immediately know
> the answer to this has absolutely no business touching any ebuild that
> might end up being given to someone else.

That question really needs chunking up offhand- there are valid usages
of $(), but the question doesn't really ask when it's not explicitly.
You see it, I see it, so lets skip getting into it further lest
someone have a very easy google answer on it ;)

Either way, file a bug re: it for wording improvements if you'd like.

~harring