On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 17:44:10 +0300
Markos Chandras <hwoar...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> all the gnome-* herds look obsolete to me. It should be like kde and
> use only one alias. Further more the comm-fax could be merged with a
> net-* alias, and all the desktop-* could be merged in one herd.  The
> dev-embedded could be merged with embedded,  kernel can merge with
> kernel-misc. Plus I am sure that we can perform a clean up/merge on
> net-* herds. Same rule for sci-*.

Speaking for myself, the net-* and netmon herds are much too diverse to
pile onto one big stack. As with the other suggested herd mergers, you'd
merely end up piling more work onto unsuspecting developers' desktops,
possibly discouraging some of them to dig through all the extra
incoming mail. If any changes are made in this respect, it should have
the approval of all members of all herds considered for a merger.

> Having 150 herds for 300 *listed* devs doesn't seem optimal

You could qualify that statement a lot better. I don't see a problem
here. Many developers are members of more than one herd, which the
simple 2:1 relation you exemplify does not carry out that important bit
of information.

There is a real problem with herds that have a single or no
maintainer, the former mainly because that could very well lead to
another case of the latter, and we should certainly address both
problems, but we should create as little as possible new problems in
the process.

Regards,
     jer