On 10/27/10 1:05 PM, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
> Il giorno mer, 27/10/2010 alle 12.49 +0200, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." ha
> scritto:
>> Some context first. Upstream does not promise any binary compatibility
>> between releases, so each version has a different SONAME, if any.
>
> That's a good approach (although a bothersome for its users)..

By the way, what do you think about
<http://ispras.linux-foundation.org/index.php/ABI_compliance_checker> ?

>> Currently dev-lang/v8 does not use SONAME (I think that's the default),
>> because I'm not sure what's the best way to handle it.
>
> That's bad, it _has_ to have a SONAME, otherwise you're indicating that
> al the versions have the same ABI (which as you just said is not the
> case).

That's one of the reasons it's still hard masked.

> Okay now you're confusing the two concepts. The DT_SONAME tag has
> nothing to do with the name on the filesystem for what concerns the link
> editor, it's used by the dynamic loader.
>
> The link above would be fine though, just let it link as libv8.so, and
> then be loaded as libv8-1.2.3.so.

Ah, thanks! I think I understand it much better now. Bumped v8, now with
SONAME and a symlink. I was able to compile www-client/chromium against
that, and added an experimental system-v8 USE flag to it.