El dom, 31-10-2010 a las 23:30 +0100, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
escribió:
> Hi,
>
> media-libs/mesa-7.9 has been sitting in the X11 overlay for some time
> and the X11 team are planning to move it to portage soon.
> The new release brings a number of improvements, including much better
> Gallium3D support. One feature that we would like to add to Mesa in
> Gentoo is the ability to switch between "classic" and "gallium" drivers
> via an eselect module.
>
> Attached you will find the eselect module which we used in the X11
> overlay, and the configuration file from mesa. There are still some
> things on the TODO list but I consider them not blockers for addition to
> the tree. As this is the first eselect module I have written, I would
> welcome your comments and pointers.
>
> TODO:
>   * Add support for switching emul-linux-x86-opengl on amd64 multilib
>   * Accept numbers as do_set() arguments
>   * Make the code a bit more compact
> Untested:
>   * Prefix support
>

> Best regards,
> Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn

Is there any kind of information (doc page, news item...) planned for
explaining when it's better to switch to gallium3d and when not? For
example, one of the systems I administrate has a r300 device, but I
haven't followed at all gallium progress and, I guess, you cannot asume
most of the people know about all this. Then, I think that, for example,
a news item would be useful to know what drivers should we use.

Thanks a lot