On 22-01-2011 11:32, Theo Chatzimichos wrote:
> On Saturday 22 January 2011 10:55:19 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
>> 1.
>> We EXPLICITLY need a location for private repositories.
>
> didn't know that, so i guess the private dir should be:
> private
>  - infra
>    - (infrapriv1).git
>    - (infrapriv2).git
>  - foundation
>    - (foundpriv1).git
>    - (foundpriv2).git
>  - pr
>    - ....
>
>> - Some of the developer+user repos are NOT overlays, but Gentoo-specific
>>   code/applications.
>
> These DON'T belong here, they should go to project/

Why not provide a tree for overlays and another for application
repositories?

>> - On one hand, I would like user repositories to have a separate
>>   namespace, so that other users realize a given repo is NOT from a
>>   developer.
>>   - On the other side, what do we do when a user with a repo becomes a
>>      developer (and when they retire?)
>>

> Well, the distinction for unofficial/official overlays happen mostly in
> layman
> -L, I don't think users pay attention to our git repo list. Furthermore, I
> got
> at least three requests from developers to move their repo from user/ to dev/
> (same problem when devs retired). This distinction doesn't make any sense.

Instead of relying on the name space for such a distinction, I propose
we use a "label" for that. Preferably we should have an automatic system
to produce the label and have it present on any online repo browsers
(gitweb?) and on project management apps (redmine?) so that users have
no doubt when looking at projects.gentoo.org / overlays.gentoo.org about
the type of a repo. The "label" to distinguish between developers and
non-developers repos could take advantage of the ldap info. We could
also use labels for the status of a project like we're already doing on
layman.

With the above in mind and some of the suggestions in the other emails,
what about the following structure:

<tree>

 - core-portage-tree.git
 - core-portage-historical-tree.git

 (possibly some day)
 - gnome.git
 - kde.git
 - sci.git
 - x11.git
 (split profiles, keywords(?))
 - profiles.git

<overlay>

 - project (do we want to support non-gentoo projects?)
    . gnome.git
    . kde.git
    . sci.git
    . sunrise.git
    . <external project a*>
    . ...

 - individual (we need to decide whether we want to host and the "legal
costs" of hosting non-gentoo individual's or project's repos)
    . aballier.git
    . alexxy.git
    . <user a*>
    . ...

<project>

 - pages (project web pages, but not applications code source like
forums, blogs or PMS)

    . main-site.git (split from the current gentoo repo)
    . gentoo-project.git (should we split the current gentoo repo?)
    . devmanual.git

 - repositories

    . project (tied to projects)

      ^ gentoo-forums.git
      ^ gentoo-blogs.git
      ^ gitolite-gentoo
      ^ gstats.git
      ^ packages.git
      ^ planet.git
      ^ portage.git
      ^ pms.git
      ^ releng.git

    . individual (work of one or more individuals not tied to any projects)

      ^ portage-utils.git (not tied to any project afaik)
      ^ layman.git
      ^ rbot-gentoo (is it tied to any project?)
      ^ <cool new toy for Gentoo done by devs A and B>

      ^ soc (include individual soc projects here) (would it make sense
to organize by year?)

        ' <soc project 1>
        ' <soc project 2>

<private>

 - foundation
    . legal
    . finances
    . ...

 - infra
    . <infra 1>
    . <infra 2>
    . ...

 - pr
    . <pr 1>
    . <pr 2>
    . ...

This design includes 4 top-level labels: tree, overlay, project and private:
 * the tree sub-tree should be used for the Portage tree, it's history
and any future "trees" we choose to have.
 * the overlay sub-tree should be used to host repositories to be used
as overlays.
 * the project sub-tree should be used to host the web pages and sites
and all the repositories for applications / tools.
 * the private sub-tree should be used for private repositories that
cannot be exposed to the public.

- --
Regards,

Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / KDE / Elections / RelEng