On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 15:48:19 +0100
Tobias Klausmann <klaus...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > > Is there any *real* reason to force SSL? It is *hell* slow.
> >
> > it should of course be force for logging in
>
> If it is enforced for login, it should be enforced for logged
> in sessions, cf. Cookie stealing (for a POC: Firesheep). And no,
> restricting the login cookie to an IP is *not* "safe enough".

Why does everyone assume it needs to be enforced? If user is interested
in protecting his/her data, he/she can simply use https://. If he/she
is not, there is no real reason to enforce slower (and not always
supported) SSL.

It's like forcing everyone to have doors with semi-automatic locks.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny