On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 16:41:08 +0200
Antoni Grzymała <awa...@chopin.edu.pl> wrote:

>  On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 15:26:34 +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
> > On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 15:06:25 -0500
> > Olivier Crête <tes...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> >> Maybe it's not to protect the user, but to protect the Gentoo
> >> infrastructure.. And really, SSL has been supported by every
> >> browser for the last 15 years. And it is not in any way slow or
> >> slower than non-SSL.
> >
> > If you really think you need to force all users to use SSL, thus
> > assuming they're unable to make their own decisions, why don't you
> > restrict bugzie access completely?
>
>  You don't seem to (or pretend not to) understand that using SSL
>  protects not *the user* (in which case, yes, a user is free to leave
> the door to *his own* house wide open), but the Gentoo infrastructure
> that is far from his own and that all of us are using.

Please explain to me how not using SSL for a particular bugzie user is
going to hurt Gentoo infra. Even if we're talking about a dev,
and we're really assuming a dev is completely unaware of security
issues he/she's dealing with, I'd say power outage could cause more
damage.

> Besides, complaining about SSL being slow is absurd considering how
> mildly interactive and how low-traffic a typical bugzilla session is.
> You could do just fine over a 9600 bps modem.

It is more absurd to waste 5 minutes trying to establish login session
due to packet loss.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny