> > * The key should be signed by some central instance for automated
> > validity check.
> >
> > Here things get hairy. How about having recruiter/infra team sign a dev's
> > key on completion of the recruitment process? Just a first thought...
>
> I think this is an important requirement however it's quite difficult
> to conduct reliably. A normal keysigning process usually requires
> knowing one personally (and perhaps verifying fingerprints over a
> phone with voice verification), seeing one's ID personally and the
> like. This is probably unfeasible in the Gentoo development
> environment (I'm not a dev, though, so I'm just guessing).

Well, as long as the signed UID is the specific "Gentoo address UID", this
should be no problem, since...

* the signature proves the key belongs to the e-mail address, nothing else
* the e-mail address is given to the owner of the key during recruitment

Meaning nobody is certifying something that he/she does not know already by
definition.

Please point out any thinkos... :)

--

Andreas K. Huettel