On 03/25/2011 14:30, Mike Frysinger wrote:
for people who dont have a key yet:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=6

for people interested, bugs to get repoman extended to make the gpg
process smoother:
http://bugs.gentoo.org/360459
http://bugs.gentoo.org/360461
-mike

So I'm one of those that became a dev before GPG keys were required (I think). at some point, though, I created one on an old machine I had, which was my primary dev machine at the time. But the machine died, and I never got the key off (I never used it). The drive is still good, but it's lost in a pile of boxes somewhere.

Rather than mounting an expedition to find it, it's probably easier for me to generate a new key, but this raises a few questions, because I'm a complete idiot when it comes to GPG/PGP stuff:

1. How can I revoke the old key?  The revocation cert is probably on the same
drive.

2. The dev manual states not to create a key with an expiration longer than 6 months. How does this impact items signed already if the key has to be replaced bi-annually? (I suspect I'm not fully grasping something here w/r to GPG).

3. If I'm going to start using GPG, I might as well use it for a few things. Anyone got pointers for cross-platform use, i.e., Thunderbird on Windows?

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic