On 22/06/2011 07:30 μμ, Dane Smith wrote:
> On 06/22/11 12:18, Markos Chandras wrote:

>>> I see concerns about to-be-orphaned ebuilds where proxied maintainers
>>> only care about the ebuild for a short period. This would only be a
>>> problem with new ebuilds that will be added to the tree with a proxy
>>> maintainer. Instead of encouraging that, this project could have a goal
>>> to reduce m-n packages by assigning proxy maintainers.
>>> So no new packages, only old ones revived. Sounds reasonable to me.
>
>> This is what treecleaners try to do. Announce the upcoming removal of a
>> package so users can step up and maintain a package
>>> Although I didn't read the full thread, so please don't decapitate me if
>>> there were other concerns.
>
>> The purpose of Dane's proposal is to push ebuilds to portage tree that
>> you, as developer, have no interest in them at all, but users do. If the
>> proxy-maintainer disappears, you can always leave it portage tree as m-n
>> (assuming no open bugs) or ask treecleaners to remove it.
>

> Yes, that was one aim, but the primary aim is to reduce m-n packages.
> That's what I've been doing so far and I think is what would be the
> primary goal of this "new" project.

If this is the primary goal then you should try to merge it to
treeclears project instead of creating a new one. Treecleaners is pretty
much the only project that advertises the maintainer-needed packages so
I think it makes sense to extend this project to meet your needs. We
might need to rename the treecleaner project to reflect the extended
goals if needed

[1]http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/treecleaners/maintainer-needed.xml
- --
Regards,