On 08/02/2011 10:31 AM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 10:28:58 -0400
> "Anthony G. Basile" <bluen...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> I prefer capsetting in the PMS itself, with a nice clean function
>> which auto detects all the necessary conditions and transparently
>> preserves caps, as you suggest.  Maybe this can be in EAPI=5.
> Would need a spec, along with a way of dealing with all the problems:
> what happens if the build fs supports caps but the install fs doesn't?
> What about if caps are supported on both but in different ways (tmpfs
> on some kernels)? Is it up to the PM to deal with that? How does the PM
> even know?

That's exactly what I was thinking of for the PM.  It would have to
autodetect all that.  Eg. it could create a test file on each fs and
then do a getcap on it and if it fails, you have your answer.  If
necessary and it exists, it could look at /proc/config.  I think it's
doable.

>> I'm also wondering if, in the mean time, it might be worth writing a
>> bash script and/or howto on converting as many binaries as possible
>> from setuid to caps --- hitting up all the usual suspects.  Its not
>> ideal but might still be useful until we get this squarely in the PMS.
> PMS currently explicitly states that caps might get clobbered on a
> merge (because Portage does that sometimes). So if you're doing it now,
> it'd have to be as a pkg_postinst thing. But I'd strongly recommend not
> going that route, since it'll almost certainly go horribly wrong in a
> "your system randomly no longer works" kind of way... Better to ban
> things from using caps for now.

I was thinking something even dirtier, something outside of the PMS
altogether, along the lines of what one does when converting to a
selinux system where one relabels the entire filesystem with rlpkg.  So
no, not something via pkg_postinst().

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]