Ciaran McCreesh posted on Tue, 02 Aug 2011 16:05:54 +0100 as excerpted:

> Because going behind the package mangler's back results in horribly
> screwed up systems (as anyone who's ever used lafilefixer will tell
> you...).

Well, not "anyone".  I never had any problems with it.

(YMMV, but soon enough, I switched to an installmask with an exception
for libtool, then rebuilt the system.  No *.la file worries since! =:^)

(Observation: Unqualified any/all statements are rather like greedy .*
regex handling, sometimes they include more than one might intend!)