Hi,

On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 13:46 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
> we just got the following bug report for openrc today [1].

The solution to that bug is probably to use /lib*/.. instead of /lib/...
as the path you use ?

> On a gentoo 64 bit system, /lib is a symbolic link to /lib64, and this
> causes breakage in openrc.

That sounds like an openrc bug to me.

> The simplest fix for this would be for us to add /libexec to baselayout
> and start using it for platform-agnostic code. We have /usr/libexec, so
> I don't know why we don't have /libexec. Should we?

/usr/libexec is not for platform-agnostic code, it is for platform
dependant executables that are not meant to be executed directly by the
user. /usr/lib/X/Y and /usr/libexec/Y should be exactly the same.

You may want to put all the executables in /usr/libexec anyway, as
having separate / and /usr is a outdated idea anyway, and most of the
other distros will make that completely impossible very soon. Be bold.
Fedora is even going to make /lib, /bin and /sbin symlinks to /usr.

My 2 cents (as the guy who made the /lib->/lib64 link in the first
place).

--
Olivier Crête
tes...@gentoo.org