On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 11:53:50PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 18:47:17 -0400
> "Aaron W. Swenson" <titanof...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > I second the allowing dots in USE flag names. Definitely would be
> > helpful for declaring version related USE flags.
>
> You know you won't be able to mention such flags in the base profile,
> right? At least not for a year or more, until the base profile's eapi
> can be set to something other than 0.

use.desc and use.local.desc don't have EAPI versioning either; as such
they're eapi=0 till versioning is introduced (and then wait till the
support is deployed far enough to avoid breaking people).

Meaning, just the same as I said on this bug... this isn't viable, and
frankly it's not really a deal breaker lacking it.  It can be worked
around.

If folks want it, they're going to need to sort out all of the
backward compatibility issues *prior* to trying to shove it into eapi.

~harring