On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Markos Chandras <hwoar...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> 1) use bundled zlib and libpng14. Doh this is not a fix. It is barely
> a workaround. What if a vulnerability is discovered in the bundled
> version of libpng in the next months? Will upstream fix it? Highly
> unlikely since they don't seem able to keep up with libpng releases.

I'm no sure why a bundled library needs to be cause for masking.  If
there is a vulnerability, of course we should mask away if we can't
fix it within the GLSA guidelines.

I think that the general principle of not bundling libraries is a good
one.  However, that shouldn't be the sole reason for excluding a
package from the tree, and right now I can't see any other reason to
exclude this package since bundling the library fixes the block.  I
haven't seen any evidence presented that upstream is lax with security
- not using the latest version of a library simply is a case of "if it
ain't broke, don't fix it."

Rich