On Wed, 2011-10-12 at 00:40 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
> Hi all
>
>   Recently, there was a firestorm on the gentoo-user list over the idea
> that udev would eventually require /usr to be on the same physical
> parition as /, or else use initramfs, which is its own can of worms. I'm
> not a programmer, let alone a developer.  Rather than merely ranting, I
> went and searched for an alternative.

You completely misunderstand what Kay wants, what we are saying that is
that you need to mount /usr at the same time as you mount /, which you
can still do in your initramfs, etc.

That said, we, the GNOME upstream, think that having a separate /usr is
a completely stupid idea.

--
Olivier Crête
tes...@gentoo.org