On Sonntag 23 Oktober 2011 15:34:30 Samuli Suominen wrote:

> If you only wanted to remove these files, you are free to use
> INSTALL_MASK locally instead of downgrading the quality of tree.
>
> Do you have any idea how much time me, and aballier spent to make
> cdparanoia's build system as clean as it is now? And then to coordinate
> them with upstream xiph.org?
> Then I see this... Not acceptable by any standards.

I'd like to get my standards up to speed, so may I respectfully ask- what is,
apart from link time, the Gentoo-user-visible difference between
* removing the .a files in the ebuild
* and not building them in the first place?

(A clean build system is of course desirable, and it's great that you have
been helping upstream with that. I just dont understand how this affects "the
quality of the tree", compared to "the quality of upstream sources".)

TIA,
Andreas

--

Andreas K. Huettel