On 01/18/2012 01:40 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
On Sunday 23 October 2011 09:50:04 Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
On Sonntag 23 Oktober 2011 15:34:30 Samuli Suominen wrote:
If you only wanted to remove these files, you are free to use
INSTALL_MASK locally instead of downgrading the quality of tree.

Do you have any idea how much time me, and aballier spent to make
cdparanoia's build system as clean as it is now? And then to coordinate
them with upstream xiph.org?
Then I see this... Not acceptable by any standards.

I'd like to get my standards up to speed, so may I respectfully ask- what
is, apart from link time, the Gentoo-user-visible difference between
* removing the .a files in the ebuild
* and not building them in the first place?

there is no post-emerge visible difference, but i wouldn't underestimate the
speed of things.  for most packages, you're talking about compiling the files
twice (once as PIC and once as not).
-mike

[ ... grabbing random mail from this thread ... ]

i've already fixed cdparanoid properly.
it was pretty much 2 liner, so whatever was committed before was simply out of laziness to investigate.