On 01/07/2012 07:58 AM, Zac Medico wrote:
> That seems like an awfully large initramfs to load into memory for every
> boot, just to have it wiped from memory after switching to the real
> root. It's fine as long as you're not trying to shave every last
> microsecond off of your boot time though.
The size is 59MB,
core2duo 2x2.20GHz, 44MB/s HDD needs approx 3 seconds reading from xfs /boot

> An alternative approach to a having a bulky initramfs "recovery
> partition" like yours would be to put the content of a livecd/usb
> recovery disk onto a spare partition, and configure your lean busybox
> initramfs to mount that as the root if something goes wrong with your
> real root.
Yeah, i have full disk ecnryption and /boot is my "recovery" partition.
I don't want to reboot or picup usb/optical media to fix problems.
Well, and i can backup my system via nc/ssh/sshd/..., plus screen-lock.

3 seconds "penalty" on approx 50 boos/year are less time than standing
up and search-rescue an potentially outdated external media.

And yes, I decided against recompiled binaries (USE=-X) in favor of
creation time (approx 3 minutes), that f**ks vim and nethack.

Michael

--
Gentoo Dev
http://xmw.de/