120130 Mart Raudsepp wrote:
> Do you even have LINGUAS set in /etc/make.conf or something?
> Because at least evince, gdk-pixbuf, xkeyboard-config and
> gnome-doc-utils DO honor LINGUAS.
>
> All GNOME packages that use intltool (that is pretty much everything
> except a few low-level libraries) honor LINGUAS much more than
> localepurge would ever be able clean afterwards. For example, .desktop
> files only have translation lines for languages listed in LINGUAS. Same
> for gconf and dconf schemas. Also all end-user documentation
> in /usr/share/gnome/help/appname/lang_code/
>
> Per above, we would close at least 4 of those bugs as INVALID or at
> least OBSOLETE (if some older version had it wrong).
> At least in GNOME we feel quite strong about things properly honoring
> LINGUAS per old standard GNU conventions. This means installing ALL
> translations if LINGUAS is unset, and none if LINGUAS is set to an empty
> string.
>
> Above said, I also do find a use on some systems for localepurge, to
> catch the packages that don't honor it.
> Though for embedded deployments I might as well not include the
> non-interesting language directories in the image.

Thanks for the useful & polite response.  I will look into LINGUAS.
How to set it is not mentioned in  make.conf.example  or in  man make.conf :
where is it documented ?

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca