120130 Mart Raudsepp wrote:
> On E, 2012-01-30 at 06:56 -0500, Philip Webb wrote:
>> Thanks for the useful & polite response.  I will look into LINGUAS.
>> How to set it is not mentioned in  make.conf.example  or in  man make.conf :
>> where is it documented ?
>  http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml#doc_chap3
> I presume you only have things set in /etc/locale.nopurge
> and wrongly expect packages to honor it.
> Specific packages do not and can not look at that file,
> as it's localepurge specific
> and upstream projects shouldn't have any knowledge of it.
> LINGUAS is the standard environment variable for this
> with gettext based systems, and intltool honors it as well.
> I remember a longer description of it in some info file,
> but right now only found
>  http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/Installers.html
> Bugs are hopefully appreciated by maintainers for packages
> that don't honor that environment variable set via /etc/make.conf.

I added a line 'LINGUAS="en"' to  make.conf  & rebooted,
emerged the  6  pkgs I listed in a previous msg & ran 'localepurge' again.
This time, only 'rekonq' & 'sane-backends' offended.

> If an upstream doesn't honor it, they are probably just not using
> the standard autoconf/automake glue for it correctly
> or use a different build system support for it wrongly
> or the build system is suboptimal on this.

I'm surprised at 'sane-backends', which is a longstanding app,
but 'rekonq' is a recent invention & may need informing re the issue.

> Some Gentoo packages also have a LINGUAS USE_EXPAND,
> so show up in emerge --verbose --ask world and similar outputs.
> This is typically used when extra downloads are necessary for the languages
> (e.g firefox or libreoffice per-language packs)
> and often don't honor the "LINGUAS unset == all languages" convention.
> Packages that don't need any extra downloads or long building time
> do not expose this as USE_EXPAND USE flags and just silently work it out
> in their build system, and that's the most reasonable approach for us.

Yes, I've seen it in output for 'emerge -pv' for FF & LO.

> Hope this helps,

Yes, that's exactly the kind of response users need:
LINGUAS is some way down the doc you refer to & I assumed LANG was enough.

I also realised that as 'localepurge' is a script,
I can move it to  /usr/local/bin/ , if it does fall out of the tree.

I will file bugs for the  2  offending pkgs above
& leave the hard-working devs to get on with their other affairs.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca