On 13 March 2012 01:22, Joshua Kinard <ku...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> We should be working to getting rid of /usr and bring it all back into /,
> then create temporary /usr symlinks to point programs in the right
> direction.  After all, /usr was originally for user data, not system data,
> until someone cooked up /home (I don't know the full exact history here, so
> feel free to correct me).

I believe that the Art of Unix Programming* says that /usr was the
result of the original UNIX 4MB hard disk becoming full, and that they
chose /usr to mount a second one. Every definition since then has been
an attempt to justify preserving the split.

* On reflection, I may have read this elsewhere.