On 03/14/2012 19:27, Richard Yao wrote:

> On 03/14/12 18:49, Greg KH wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 06:39:05PM -0400, Richard Yao wrote:
>>> With that said, I have a few questions:
>>>
>>> 1. Why does no one mention the enterprise use case at all?
>>
>> It has been pointed out before, why constantly repeat ourselves.
>
> Simple. No one has documented it. A webpage that makes a few vague
> references to "enterprise use" does not count as documentation.
>
> I happened to figure it out when trying to rationalize why anyone would
> want this, but this is hardly obvious to those that imagine a computer
> as a self-sufficient single disk system.

You'll also find a lot of enterprise-specific decisions went into IPv6,
without necessarily stating them as being enterprise-specific.  I.e., the
requirement for Unique Local Addresses, which are IPv6's idea of RFC1918,
required to be "globally-unique".  When I quizzed someone about this one (I
think it was on ServerFault somewhere), I was basically told that "IPv6 is
not for home use".

>>> 2. Why not make rootfs a NFS mount with a unionfs at the SAN/NAS device?
>>
>> unionfs is still a "work in progress", some systems can't do that yet.
>
> That sounds like something that needs to be fixed.

I thought UnionFS died?  Or was better handled by other "tricks" involving
filesystem overlays?

>>> 3. Why not let the users choose where these directories go and support
>>> both locations?
>>
>> Because a plethera of options is a sure way to make sure that half of
>> them don't work over the long run.
>>
>> We aren't Debian here people, we don't support "everything" :)
>
> Gentoo provides far more options than Debian does, so this seems
> somewhat contradictory to me.

Agreed.  Debian is focused on an entirely different model of building a
Linux system, thus they have a narrower dependency chain and you sometimes
have to include packages that you don't necessarily care for because they're
required by a package that you do want to use.  We have USE flags to resolve
that issue.

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us.  And
our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic