On 03/14/2012 16:55, Zac Medico wrote:

>> Deprecation of this practice would mean that people could type
>> /bin/command instead of /usr/bin/command in situations where absolute
>> paths are necessary. We could symlink things in /usr to rootfs for
>> compatibility with legacy software. In a more extreme case, we could
>> symlink /usr to /, which would make plenty of sense given that we do not
>> need a separate /usr at all.
>
> I'm not seeing any compelling benefits here that would justify a lack of
> conformity with other *nix distros. It seems almost as though it's an
> attempt to be different for the sake of being different, perhaps a
> symptom of something like NIH syndrome.

Gentoo, by its very nature, has always been regarded as somewhat
non-conformist.  When Gentoo first popped onto the scene, most other distros
didn't do colors in the terminal.  We did.  And it all branches out from there.

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us.  And
our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic