On 03/27/2012 03:05 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
> All,
>
> I know this has come up before, but I don't really recall what the
> specific objections were.
>
> IMO the portage directory doesn't belong under /usr at all. I was
> chatting with another developer who uses
> /var/cache/portage/{tree,distfiles}, and I'm thinking about
> switching my default setup to do this.
>
> I realize that historically the portage tree has been installed
> under /usr, but Can we consider changing this default for new
> installations and providing instructions for users for how to get
> the portage tree out of /usr? William

So, we're all getting way off topic and discussing reorganizing the
whole enchilada.

How about we all agree or disagree on the primary point: The Portage
tree doesn't belong in /usr.

I believe that it does belong under /var/cache/.

We can go a bit further and make it /var/cache/gentoo-repos/portage/.

That way Layman and friends can all make the move there quite simply
without major infrastructure changes.

The Portage PMS on it's next release would just do a 'mkdir
/var/cache/gentoo-repos/portage/ && sync && rm -rf /usr/portage &&
echo "Portage has moved"' on its next 'emerge --sync' while still
looking in both locations for packages.

(After looking at overlays, if /usr/portage exists, check there first,
if not found look in /var/cache/gentoo-repos/).

Other PMSs can then continue to use /usr/portage until they catch up.
It also allows 'emerge --sync' on older versions of the Portage PMS or
whatever the other PMSs use to continue working without breaking
everything.

We can continue forward with restructuring the tree in later stages,
but we can't move the tree and break compatibility in one go. There
must be stages to the restructuring. The first step is moving it to
the proper top/sub level directory.

So, I'm proposing we use /var/cache/gentoo-repos/portage/ as the
location of the official tree.

- - Aaron