On 30 March 2012 17:08, Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:

> in the install handbook gives "/usr/local/portage" as an example overlay
> directory.  I thought it was implicit that one shouldn't edit or create
> files in /usr/portage because they may be overwritten by the system e.g.
> during an "emerge --sync".  Maybe the manual needs to state this
> explicitly.  Also, /usr/local is the "standard" place to keep one's own
> software and/or global customizations that aren't handled by the package
> manager, but don't belong in one user's home directory.

Yeah, I don't have that layout /now/, but there was a time where one of my
systems had stuff in there, for whatever reason, and I can't recall
deciding to put it there myself. But that said, I *have* been using Gentoo
since one of the 2004.x releases ... Ah the good old days of having the
choice of NPTL ;)

--
Kent

perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3, 3 )