On 05/06/2012 03:01 PM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
El dom, 06-05-2012 a las 07:33 -0400, Rich Freeman escribió:
On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 5:37 AM, Michał Górny<mgo...@gentoo.org>  wrote:

I don't think even heavyweight DE/WM usually needs ldap...

Tend to agree.  I don't think we want to create a new profile every
time we want to change one of the flags.

Some other questionable ones:
emboss - Adds support for the European Molecular Biology Open Software Suite
firefox - probably OK for what it does now, but not everybody uses it
xulrunner - not even used now

There will always be some level of variation if you are looking at
single flags.  What matters isn't coming up with profiles that exactly
match all of our users, but rather ones that are good for 80+% of
them.

As far as ldap goes, if we wanted an "enterprise desktop" profile that
might be a good fit for such a configuration.  I agree that -ldap
isn't really a lightweight desktop so much as a normal one.  If you
really wanted "lightweight" then you'd probably not be running desktop
at all, or the regular desktop vs kde/gnome.

Maybe "desktop" should be more lightweight oriented and for people (like
me) wanting more, use gnome/kde instead (or create xfce/lxde... if they
need other flags...)

There will be no xfce/ sub profile as we don't need one (ever).
Xfce is working fine on default (standard) desktop components from freedesktop.org and the GTK+ toolkit. We can still do our changes directly in the desktop profile, such as, enabling USE flags like "thunar" in make.defaults (or if needed, package.use) since the flags will only concern packages within xfce-* categories and/or Xfce specific packages in other categories.

When this was discussed earlier, the LXDE and ROX maintainers declared same, and it seems to still be valid from what I can see. Only GNOME and KDE maintainers wanted one, because they have packages in random categories which can be used in a generic way, or oriented towards their desktops.

As in, desktop is (or should be) already the lightweight version.
The story behind USE flags like ldap and cups are spawning from something else, and I'm all for removing them both.

The bottom line is that we don't need 47 different profile targets -
there will always be a "use" for 1 more.  That's why we all run Gentoo
- we aren't bound by the decisions made for us by the package
maintainers.

Rich