On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Mike Gilbert <flop...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Diego Elio Pettenò
> <flamee...@flameeyes.eu> wrote:
>> On 01/08/2012 23:42, Fabian Groffen wrote:
>>> Honestly, if some asian person has whatever charset that I often find in
>>> spam messages, but is not UTF-8, are you then going to tell that person
>>> to switch to UTF-8 to get those python packages emerged?  I hope not.
>>
>> Tell that to the Python team I guess. My tinderbox _has_ utf8 locales
>> available, but doesn't set in by default -> Python stuff fails to build
>> or test -> not going to be fixed with "change your locale" reasoning.
>>
>> Is it mental? Yes.
>> Would I like that to change? Yes.
>> Do I care ẃhether that's through the use of cluebyfour on the Python
>> team or by setting an utf-8 locale by default? Not in the least.
>>

> Please apply the cluebyfour to the upstream developers of python and
> python modules. :-)
>
> I do try to fix unicode problems if I run into them. However,
> sometimes it just isn't worth the effort.

Python upstream is doing what they think is best in using unicode.

That said, what if we just temporarily set a locale in the ebuild for
running tests and elsewhere? Is this unreasonable or impossible? It
might not be a great solution, this method, since users' stuff will
still break.

Further, I support the use of C.UTF-8 when it is ready. It seems like
the lowest common denominator to me.

--
Matthew W. Summers
Gentoo Foundation Inc.