On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:26 PM, Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bootstrapping is an inherently curious problem. Most systems are built
> upon the systems they themselves build, but getting to that
> self-hosting state always requires some unclean solution.

Yup, I never viewed getting rid of @system as a solution to the
bootstrapping problem.  You could even have an @stage3 set for
convenience, or a meta-virtual to create one, using a fully
functioning Gentoo system.  I also wasn't suggesting we have empty
stage3s or anything like that.  By all means supply a default
collection of packages, and feel free to include openssh in that
collection.  However, those default packages would be nothing more
than a starting point and users could uninstall them at will.  Perhaps
portage would have some set it would offer a warning before
uninstalling (either a hardcoded list like @system, or use logic like
any dep of portage or gcc).

Rich