On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Diego Elio Pettenò
<flamee...@flameeyes.eu> wrote:
> In particular, if I hear such an answer from anybody (be it for icu or
> something else, be it for a minor inconsistency or a total fuckup), I'll
> be requesting devrel to re-evaluate their commit rights, as they are
> missing the understanding of "you're responsible for whatever you commit".

While I do agree in principle, I think that talking about going to
devrel over "minor inconsistencies" is over-the-top.

Devs committing for proxies should be reviewing ebuilds, and also
applying some kind of QA (make sure it works, get feedback from
testers, etc).  However, mistakes can and will happen, and that's OK.
I'll take a package that has a mistake twice a year over a package
that isn't in the tree at all any day.

It seems like many of the ICU issues are upstream-related.  If your
library breaks on every release then somebody clearly doesn't
understand the purpose of sonames.  That puts anybody maintaining the
package at a distro level in a really bad position.

I think what is most needed here is a maintainer that can just
coordinate with the various downstream projects.  I don't care as much
whether ICU is perfectly consistent as long as projects like chromium
have a chance to test things out and catch issues before they hit the
tree.  That is actually part of the job of a proxy maintainer.

Rich