On 18.11.2012 08:57, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 11:02:19PM -0800, Alec Warner wrote:
>> 1) systemd-udev will require systemd. Stated by the systemd
>> maintainers themselves as a thing they want to do in the future. Some
>> users don't want to use systemd. We could go into detail as to why;
>> but I think that is not as important as one may think. The point is
>> that the desire is there, and thusly there are users who want to make
>> other systems (namely openrc) work.
>>
>> People like openrc. My VMs for instance, boot reasonably quickly.
>> Booting 5 seconds faster may be super duper, but not at the cost of an
>> existing reliable solution.
>
> So is this the goal?  Great, someone say that then, that's all I'm
> asking for here.
>
>>> That's wonderful, seriously.  But why is this suddenly an official
>>> Gentoo project?  When did that happen, and why?  Why not just do a
>>> "normal" project and if it matures and is good enough, then add it to
>>> the distro like all other packages are added.
>>>
>>> My main point here is the fact that this is now being seen as an act by
>>> Gentoo, the distro / foundation.  And that happened in private, without
>>> any anouncement.  Which is not good on many levels.
>>
>> I'm unsure on what grounds you disapprove. People start (and abandon)
>> projects often in Gentoo. Suddenly you dislike one such project and
>> object to this practice? Certainly if we had to get some sort of
>> Foundation consensus (for anything) nothing would happen. We can't
>> even get more than 40% of foundation members to vote.
>
> I object if this is seen as a "Gentoo blessed" fork of a community
> project that is worked on by all other major Linux distros.  That is the
> type of decision that can be made by the Gentoo Council, which is fine,
> but it sure would be nice if it were publicly stated, instead of having
> to see it on the Gentoo github site instead.

Hi,
I've seen this argument being repeated all over this thread and I'd like
to clarify: http://github.com/gentoo (nor it's bitbucket.org
counterpart) was never meant to host "Gentoo blessed" forks/projects and
it *doesn't*.
Sole purpose of it, was to encourage more contribution from users using
web goodies like "click a button to fork", since most of the people are
very comfortable with github's workflow. We (gentoo-science team) have
seen significant increase of interest since we've started using github.
Cheers,
Kacper

P.s. Just to emphasise it even more: There's a pornview fork there too.
I don't recall Gentoo Council acknowledging it as default imageviewer.
We should definitely put it into agenda. </reductio ad absurdum>