On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 08:13:55PM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 01:51:14AM -0600, Canek Pel??ez Vald??s wrote
> >
> > "... systemd is a cross-distro project: every major and many, many
> > minor distros have had people contributing to systemd. last i heard
> > even two debian devs have commit access to the repo, among many
> > others. systemd upstream is very accommodating of different needs and
> > different use-cases (as long as they are presented on technical
> > grounds) and have been a pleasure to work with so far. We are getting
> > the joint experience of a lot of people/projects who have worked on
> > different init systems for a long time, I think this is one of the
> > most important "features" one could have."
> >
> > https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1149530#p1149530
>
>   You're missing the point entirely.  Yes, the systemd people are
> working for the good of systemd.  Nobody denies that.  Your post does
> not address the fact that Kay and Lennart hold standalone udev in
> contempt, and treat it as a 2nd-class citizen.  Note that Richard Yao is
> *NOT* forking systemd.  He is forking udev, which addresses the issue of
> Kay's+Lennart's hostility to standalone udev on non-systemd setups.  I,
> and a lot of other people, would like to use a sane standalone udev
> (from the Greg KH days) without systemd's dependancies/restrictions.
> That is the "target market" for a udev fork.

Heh, you really don't want udev from back in the "Greg KH days".
Seriously, if you want that, go use mdev, but even then, it has more
features than when I was still running the udev project.

I find it a bit funny that people are so stuck on using udev now, they
seem to have forgotten all of these same kinds of arguments way back
when udev first came out ("No one is going to force me to use udev!").
Thanks to Kay's fine work, that is no longer an issue at all.  Without
him, you wouldn't be arguing to keep using it so much.

And note, Kay and Lennart are _not_ treating udev as a second-class
citizen.  It's required for systemd to work properly, and other distros
(like Ubuntu), use it for their systems to work properly in a
stand-alone manner.  So breaking that will not happen, lots of people
will ensure that that does not happen, myself included.

thanks,

greg k-h