> The other levels are files and projects. So this leads to the other
> confusion, do you touch every file in the project when forking etc.

> The answer appears to be that a file is the unit, but from practice
> I've seen all three. What is correct is what passes in the courts
> and I do not want to, nor have I ever, tested that. [...]

The FSF appears to take the standpoint that the project as a whole is
the unit. In their "Information for maintainers of GNU software" [1]
there is the following paragraph:

| To update the list of year numbers, add each year in which you have
| made nontrivial changes to the package.  [...]  When you add the new
| year, it is not required to keep track of which files have seen
| significant changes in the new year and which have not.  It is
| recommended and simpler to add the new year to all files in the
| package, and be done with it for the rest of the year.

I've also found [2] which says that the above is based on legal advice
from Eben Moglen.

Ulrich

[1]
<http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/gnustandards/maintain.texi?root=gnustandards&view=markup>