On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina
<zeroch...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>  If you horribly break my package, you may hear about it, but you
> certainly won't get yelled at for fixing my bugs or bumping a package.

While I think there is a balance to be found, keep in mind that you as
the developer aren't the only person impacted if somebody breaks a
package you maintain.  Perhaps your users would prefer that people
with less experience with the package not fiddle with it.

If a package has a responsive maintainer, then pinging them isn't
really much of a hurdle.  If the package doesn't have a responsive
maintainer, then perhaps that should be fixed.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be some way for maintainers to
indicate when they're willing to allow others to touch packages
without asking.  I'm just saying that this isn't purely a matter of
maintainer preference, or territorialism.

Rich