On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 17:09:34 +0100
justin <j...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 29/11/12 16:51, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
[...]
> > ..ok remind me again what the .pc files provide you?  this is so
> > that you can have slotted blas providers and various packages can
> > choose their preferred one instead of having to use the eselected
> > one?  or...
> >

> Not exactly.
> The user can choose for each package newly by eselecting the wanted
> implementation. This is the user side. From the pm side we ensure that
> the choice is really respected by linking against package specific
> names [1] instead of the generic ones e.g. libblas.so. And this can be
> achieved in an easy way by using pkg-config.
>
> justin
>
> 1)
>  # eselect blas set atlas-threads
>  # pkg-config --libs blas
> -lptf77blas -lm -latlas -lpthread
>
> # eselect blas set reference
> # pkg-config --libs blas
> -lrefblas

This immediately bears the following questions:

* How do you ensure the linked against implementation doesn't get
depcleaned? revdep-rebuild maybe?

* How do you let users configure the implementation to be used on a per
package basis? Interrupt an emerge world to set the appropriate
implementation for the next few packages?