Duncan schrieb:
> However, hasn't it always been gentoo policy to *STRONGLY* encourage
> users to run emerge --pretend/--ask and EXAMINE THE RESULTS for anything
> unexpected, and resolve it in one way or another to "expected", before
> going ahead?
>
> Thus, anyone suddenly losing their openldap server as a result of a
> simple uncaught USE flag change, "gets to keep the pieces", as the saying
> commonly goes.  Gentoo has /always/ been about reasonable documentation
> but has /never/ been about handholding.  We've never been afraid to point
> users who expect to be handheld or babysat to other distributions that
> are a more appropriate match to their expectations.

In the days before we started playing fast and loose with profiles, this
change would have been confined to an "under development" profile, and users
would need to explicitly switch to that. After some time, the old profile
would become unsupported and users told to use the new profile.

But today that practice is typically not considered for profile changes any
more.

Best regards,
Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn