Alec Warner wrote:
> Testing all the updates is basically not possible. Understanding
> the updates is basically not possible.

I think it's very possible to understand updates which are important
for the system.

Of course it is a lot of work if it is to be done every day. I would
not update systems every day.

> manage your services appropriately

Absolutely. No distribution can compensate for lacking process.

The .se registry published a .se.se zone once, and got cake.

Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> At the very least, my company has to pay my salary. If I were to spend
> a week reading the ebuilds for every update I do, that would also waste
> thousands of dollars of their money.

Part of the job is IMO to know which packages are important and to
look at those carefully. That's not a waste of money, that's what
they pay you to do, if your job is to keep things running.

> There seems to be a vocal minority of hipsters who want Gentoo to remain
> "hard" so that they can use it ironically.

Am I a hipster? That would be funny. Thanks for the trolling.

It is important for me that Gentoo remains powerful. This means that
Gentoo will by definition be more complex, or more difficult, or
harder, than other distributions which are less powerful, because the
power means needing to know more about what Gentoo is taking care of.

> There isn't anything inherently difficult about Gentoo.

I disagree completely. Being source based indeed makes Gentoo
inherently difficult for everyone who is not experienced with using
package sources.

Gentoo adds the amazing USE flags value to help with this, but there
are countless administrators who are simply not comfortable and
efficient with Gentoo. That is fine.

In order to not make a mess of their systems they would need to learn
new things (or they would already be comfortable and efficient) and
if they can not or do not want to do that then Gentoo isn't a very
good tool for them.

> And the Gentoo that you know and love isn't going "soft" if it
> warns people that their LDAP servers might go away.

I think a USE change does that really well.

//Peter