On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 22:35:07 -0800
Zac Medico <zmed...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 12/10/2012 01:27 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
> > 1) duplicate most of the major profiles. Make an EAPI 5-enabled wrapper
> > profiles which will provide the *use.stable.mask files. Require users
> > to migrate to those profiles after getting an EAPI 5 capable package
> > manager (how?). Possibly mask the relevant flags completely in other
> > profiles.
>
> I think this is the obvious solution. You can make users migrate by
> adding "deprecated" files to the old profiles.

To be honest, I don't see much benefit from it compared to not having
the *stable.use.mask files at all and just adding separate stable
profiles.

AFAICS, that would have three advantages over the proposed solution:

1) the 'new' profiles wouldn't need to be EAPI=5 and therefore the
solution will work correctly even for quite an ancient package managers,

2) less users will have to switch profiles. Even if for safety we
wanted the unstable users to switch profiles,

3) package.accept_keywords will not magically switch masks. This one
probably is a matter of taste but if some arch testers actually use
package.accept_keywords to quickly test packages before stabilizing
them, EAPI=5 solution will automatically unmask the flags which won't
be present on a stable system.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny