Am Mittwoch, 12. Dezember 2012, 11:30:17 schrieb Zac Medico:
> > Yes, and having 'stable' and 'unstable' profiles will work just
> > the same. Except for the fact that it will be a bit cleaner, not require
> > EAPI=5 at all and probably make arch testing a bit easier for a few
> > people.
>
> Sounds good to me.

Except that it completely breaks stabilization procedures, since packages are
then not only tested with a larger range of useflags, but with an entirely
different profile. Not such a great idea.

The whole point of the stable masking was to keep the changes minimal when
going from a "testing" to a "stable" state - by only restricting the use flag
choices, and nothing else. This means most of the testing done with ~arch
packages is still valid and provides meaningful feedback to maintainers and
arch teams for stabilization.

In general, using a separate set of profiles, however, whill not help you
enabling the stable mask files, since these will then only be allowed inside
the new profiles. Not in the base profile or in the main profile directory,
which still follows the old EAPI. In the sense of easy handling, noone will
probably want to edit
profiles/highly_unstable/next_version/package.stable.mask.

<rant>I have basically given up that this "feature" will ever become useful
for the main tree. Long live inertia.</rant>

--

Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer