On 12/15/2012 01:33 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 05:16:48AM +0100, Peter Stuge wrote

I hope that eudev wants to do the respectable thing for any fork, ie.
work hard to minimize the amount of wasted effort in both projects by
sharing much code and bugfixes.
   That would be nice if systemd/udev upstream was agreeable.  On the
other hand, if the systemd/udev maintainers had accepted bug reports
("WONTFIX" is not acceptance) and had accepted proposed patches, there
wouldn't have been a need for the eudev fork in the first place.
Lennart Poettering has admitted systemd's outright hostility to to
standalone udev...
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2012-August/006066.html

Well, we intent to continue to make it possible to run udevd outside
of systemd. But that's about it. We will ***NOT POLISH THAT, OR ADD
NEW FEATURES*** to that or anything.

OTOH we do polish behaviour of udev when used *within* systemd
however, and that's our primary focus.

And what we will ***CERTAINLY NOT DO IS COMPROMISE THE UNIFORM
INTEGRATION INTO SYSTEMD FOR SOME COSMETIC IMPROVEMENTS FOR
NON-SYSTEMD SYSTEMS***.

(Yes, udev on non-systemd systems is in our eyes a dead end, in case
you haven't noticed it yet. I am looking forward to the day when we
can drop that support entirely.)
   They've essentially announced ahead of time that most bugs from
non-systemd users would be closed with WONTFIX.  Actually, for political
reasons, I hope that eudev does submit a bunch bugs+patches, and gets
them rejected.  Then whenever anyone complains about not sharing code,
show them a bunch of WONTFIX emails from systemd/udev maintainers.

I'm not interested in forming that kind of relationship with the systemd people. I actually have some issues I'm thinking of passing their way. But I will limit myself to only those thing which I believe will make systemd/udev better. I hope they pass the same sort of bugreports/fixes our way for a standalone udev consistent with our project goals.

I respect Poettering's position in that email whether or he respect mine. They have their priorities and we have our. I say that without any hard feelings. Its the way things should work in open source. The only downside to forking is a division of effort. It pulls me away from my other projects. But that's my freedom. And now I'd better stop before I start sounding like Stallman.

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]