On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 6:21 AM, Richard Yao <r...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> No one has proposed moving everything to /usr. At the minimum, we would
> still have /etc and /var in /, as well as various mountpoints. If we do
> move those to /usr, then we effectively renamed / to /usr, which is
> pointless. The absurdity of mounting /usr over NFS instead of / is
> precisely why people are saying to just mount / (with /usr as being part
> of it).

We're drifting here, but the concept is that machine-local stuff like
configuration stays out of /usr, and generic distro stuff stays in
/usr.

A webserver for site1 vs site2 would be identical in /usr, but
different elsewhere.

However, that whole approach makes less sense for a distro that prides
itself on you being able to make every installation unique.  That
said, if you do want to make a whole bunch of Gentoo installs the same
then sticking everything important in /usr and network mounting it is
a good way to accomplish it.

Rich