Il 24/12/2012 10:11, Ciaran McCreesh ha scritto:
On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 03:17:06 +0100
Sebastian Pipping <sp...@gentoo.org> wrote:
On 20.12.2012 19:14, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
The tree is a database. It belongs in /var/db/.
yes and no,
yes it contain data and executable needed to update gentoo system, in a hierarchical and relational form
no, it's a cache of a remote database generally mantained from others.

Actually also the difference in importance between /var/db/pkg and /????/ebuild_tree is very high. Loose the pkg db and your best plan is to re-emerge the entire world, provided you still have a copy of /var/lib/portage/world (or equivalent), loose the latter and have a laugh.
To put those in the same category seem risky

Not that I personally care since everything gentoo related is kept in /g on my systems, also this for various reason mainly because it's something used to mantain a system and if maintainaince is not needed it's very easy this way to remove.

I don't see /var/db in the latest release of the Filesystem Hierarchy
Standard:

   http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#THEVARHIERARCHY

I would prefer something that blends with FHS.
That's ok, Gentoo doesn't follow FHS.

And it's ok to "prefere" to stay near a standard and use it as a guideline, for various reason, less difference with others and because a bunch of people has already toughted on it, to name just two.
Raising to "MUST blend" would be indeed not beneficial.

Regards,
Francesco Riosa