On Wednesday 26 December 2012 23:01:46 William Hubbs wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 10:48:23PM +0100, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
> > On 24/12/2012 20:08, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > i.e. saying "we should get rid of gen_usr_ldscript and use
> > > --libdir=/lib" makes absolutely no sense.  it's just begging for
> > > people to screw things up constantly and waste developer time for 0
> > > gain.
> >
> > Amen.
>
> Actually, since ulm pointed out in another thread that the
> council has not mandated that we support separate /usr without an
> initramfs, I am re-considering this.
>
> In linux-only ebuilds, if we install everything in /usr as gregkh and
> others have suggested, we can remove this call from them. Also, for the
> other ebuilds that have this call, we can eventually disable the
> function on Linux systems.

as mentioned in bug 417451, the ebuilds won't drop the `gen_usr_ldscript`
call.  we'll update the gen_usr_ldscript itself to be a no-op.  that way non-
linux systems continue to work, as well as linux users who want to live in the
past.

on the upside, i will no longer have compassion for keeping / small, so we can
close all the existing bugs about "pkg foo in / is linked against lib bar in
/usr" by dumping these calls.  or maybe we symlink /usr/lib to /lib ? :)
-mike