On Thursday 17 January 2013 14:44:14 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > CM> That's what's known as "doing it wrong". You should be querying
> > CM> your package mangler for a list of categories, not doing an 'ls'.
> >
> > ls(1) isn't relevant.  find(1) is.  grep(1) is.  There are others.
> >
> > Using the 'package managers' isn't very helpful.  They generally do
> > everything poorly.  And usually **s*l*o*w*l*y**, if they compile at
> > all.
>
> On the other hand, they do things correctly, which your approach
> doesn't.
>
> > I can't even remember every time I've needed to use a regex, glob or
> > other pattern match where the fact that the real categories had a dash
> > made things easier and faster.
>
> But wrong. If you want wrong answers quickly, cat /dev/urandom.

and breaking people for no good reason is just that -- not a good reason.

is code that makes this assumption kind of crappy ?  yes.  is this new
proposal a compelling use case for breaking that (pretty common) assumption ?
no.  there's no real technical overhead to have new qt categories follow the
existing practice.
-mike